Tips for Safer Sledding and Tobogganing
Top Tips for Toboggan Safety
Injuries can occur while sledging, so it's best to put some safety measures in place. Here are some tips for safe sledging:
1. Children under the age of 12 should be supervised by an adult when sledding, and an adult should accompany children under five on their sledge.
2. Only go sledding in the daylight.
3. Dress appropriately - gloves, hats with warm waterproof clothing and footwear. If it is particularly windy, a facemask is a good idea, as this will help to prevent frostbite, the most common cold-related injury.
4. Try and choose a gentle incline and a long run off area for your sledging.
5. Avoid icy areas and make sure the hill has a good covering of snow.
6. Be aware of traffic hazards and any other potential dangers such as rocks, trees, holes, or fences. Make sure your route downhill avoids any streams or rivers.
7. While on the sledge, the proper position for sledding is to sit or lay on your back on the top of the sled, with your feet pointing downhill. Sledding headfirst increases the risk of head injury and should be avoided.
8. During your sledge run, make sure to tuck your arms in as well as any loose clothing (scarves, drawstrings etc.)
9. If you fall off of your sledge or come to an unexpected stop, make sure you immediately move out the way of other sledges.
10. Bear in mind that since children are smaller than adults they loose body heat more rapidly and will suffer cold-related injuries sooner than adults do. Also, remember that when children are playing outside on a cold day they may not pay any attention to how cold they are, so it is up to you to keep an eye on them and to remind older children of the dangers. Tell your children that if their fingers or toes start to sting, that is their body's way of telling them "I'm cold! Bring me inside so I can warm up, please!"
Recently Viewed Products
YOUR 'MINI' BASKET
- Camping Tents
- Caravan Awnings
- Drive-Away and Motorhome Awnings
- Tent & Awning Accessories
- Camping Kitchen
- Caravan and Camping Equipment
- Aftercare & Waterproofing
- Towing & Touring
- Outdoor Accessories
- Geocaching Supplies
- Sleeping Bags & Beds
- Rucksacks & Luggage
- Travel Products
- Flags & Banners
- Active Toys
- Great Gift Ideas